Week 1 Reflection !

 For the first lecture, Dr. Lina played an Introduction video of herself where we were able to see her achievements, struggles and victories. Dr. Lina had shared her inspiring journey with us all. Then she  went over the module guidelines and assignment details with us. Then we were instructed to introduce ourselves with a short slide. We had to talk about our history and inspiration that brought us here. I was honestly anxious, but I am glad Dr.Lina pushed me to do it and face my fear head on.  My friends cheered me on when It was my turn to speak, which gave me enough strength to go ahead with my self introduction. Each course mate took turns to introduce themselves. 


 For the first tutorial, Dr Lina made us pick a piece of paper with numbers to put us into groups to work on our blogs. I had picked the number 1 and was grouped with my friends. Dr. Lina guided us step by step on creating our own blog. Although the instructions were hard to comprehend, Dr. Lina was patient with us all. We were taught how to set up our blog pages as it is a part of our Assignment 1. Since I had no prior experience with creating a Blog, my group member who was experienced was much of help. As I found Dr. Lina's explanation hard to grasp and so did my fellow group members, I was fortunate for my friend who helped me comprehend the task. After setting up our blogs, Dr. Lina went on to explaining the function of  5R framework. She also emphasised the importance of reflective writing. 



The 5R's

- Reporting : Focus on a recount on the situation

- Respond : Thoughts on what happened

- Relating : Connect experiences with knowledge and skills

- Reasoning : Explore significant factors and theoretical knowledge relevant to the experiences

- Reconstructive : Draw conclusion about future practices and knowledge


The 5R framework was proposed by Bain Ballantyne, Mills and Lester (2002). These frameworks focuses  on the ways that reflective practice have a transformative impact (e.g., Kalantzis & Cope 2008; Mezirow 2006) It is distinguished to measure personal and academic growth (Moon, 2006).


Furthermore, I believe the group task is interconnected with the Vygotsky's sociocultural theory. Instead of forming our own group, we were put into groups with peers with different abilities and strength (SWOT). Vygotsky's scaffolding theory was applied to during the group task. We were able to learn problem-solving skills and worked through hurdles with the assistance of our group members with mixed abilities, which I believe is what enabled us to complete the task given successfully in a short amount of time. Through the tasks given I have learned the importance of teamwork and communication. As an aspiring educator I will be applying Vygotsky's Scaffolding theory often in my own classroom. 




References :

Kirk, S. (2017). Waves of reflection: Seeing knowledge (s) in academic writing. In EAP in a Rapidly Changing Landscape: Issues, Challenges and Solutions-Proceedings of the 2015 Baleap Conference. Reading: Garnet Education.

https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tsc.2020.100759

Nordlof, J. (2014). Vygotsky, Scaffolding, and the Role of Theory in Writing Center Work. Writing Center Journal, 34(1). https://doi.org/10.7771/2832-9414.1785

http://dx.doi.org/10.14221/ajte.2016v41n7.2

Comments

  1. Good Job, Sha. call for more commenters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sha
    I enjoyed reading your blog.
    The key incidents you utilized in personalizing your experiences were: self-intro, setting up the Blogger website and 5R. The 5R is utilized well in case of 5R learning story. I would expect you to go to google scholar to read more about terms of 'digital competency " for blogger and " classroom climate" for self-intro session and then come back to resonate your situation with references, and then getting take away message of how could have been done better next time when you're teaching and learning.
    I like your analysis of the Vygotsky's scaffolding theory.
    I look forward to reading your second blog.
    Best wishes
    Lina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello!!!Sha! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and insights. I've learned something new from your blog such as the SWOT. By the way, I completely agreed with your point on the effectiveness of scaffolding and I also noticed that you mentioned the group members with mixed abilities, which is refreshing and impressive for me. This reminded me of one research paper that I saw before and I would like to provide additional research for you to consolidate your argument from different views.

    According to one research conducted by Saleth et al. (2007), building collaboration in mixed-ability groups can enhance students with average ability in verbal communication, learning, and motivation. Likewise, it can be connected with another concept called More Knowledgeable Other (MKO), where students with high ability can help students with low ability. I hope the research and concept can help you to form a new and comprehensive understanding to some extent.

    In the end, I appreciate your input and efforts on this blog. Look forward to seeing more of your blogs.

    Reference list:
    Saleh, M., Lazonder, A. W., & Jong, T. D. (2007). Structuring collaboration in mixed-ability groups to promote verbal interaction, learning, and motivation of average-ability students. Contemporary Educational Psychology, 32(3), 314-331.

    https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cedpsych.2006.05.001

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts