Week 9 Reflection

 Hello everyone! we are on our 9th week already. This week is all about our teaching demonstration. My group members and I had chosen to teach Biology, more specifically human body parts. After multiple disagreements we all finally came to this conclusion. It was difficult to finalise on the subject as some of us had never taken Biology and had no idea what it was about.  To add to this, we were expected to teach university level which was rather concerning as we had no prior knowledge. In order to be fully equipped for our teaching demonstration, we did multiple researches and studied on this particular topic. Despite these factors, we all came to an agreement in a week. To make the teaching process easier, we decided our tasks equally. Luanne and I were in charge of the Brain. After conducting further research, we collaborated on our presentation slides and sent in our draft just on time for Dr. Lina to look through and proved her feedback. Once we had received for the awaited feedback, we made some minor adjustments to our slides and content. We all hurriedly submitted our final draft to be marked by Dr. Lina. 



⭐⭐⭐⭐

 The day before the teaching demonstration, Dr. Lina had sent put an email to everyone to encourage us to do a rehearsal with her. My group mates and I planned to rehearse on our on but one of us suggested to go ahed with the rehearsal. We all agreed and picked the 2.00 to 2.30 p. m. time slot. I was anxious as I had not practiced nor prepared myself. Speaking from experience, I have a fear of presenting or speaking in front of a large crowd. Seeing my peers feel the same way weirdly made me calm down as I realised I was not alone. We were the first group to do the rehearsal and Dr. Lina observed us attentively and gave us constructive criticism. She gave us feedbacks to work on and mine was to be more engaging with the classroom, to not just read off of the slides. The main feedback for my group was to be more engaging during the lesson. I agree that our lesson was very compact and factual which would bore the students. My group mates and I sat together and had a brief discussion on how to incorporate engaging activities and made some last minute alterations that tailored to Dr. Lina's feedback. 


⭐⭐⭐⭐

 One of the things I learnt from this experience is the importance of teamwork. At first my group was lacking teamwork as each of us intended different things for our group work, different topics and it was hard to see eye to eye. After several discussions, we all came to a compromise and started working as a team. I was able to experience the constrain lack of teamwork brings to the team. There are multiple benefits from displaying team work, effective division of labour is where tasks can be assigned by teams according to members' skills and areas of strength. This division of labour makes sure that everyone on the team participates in their strongest areas, which results in a workflow that is more productive and efficient. Other than that, efficient problem-solving where the group utilises the varied expertise and talents of their members can work together to solve complicated challenges. Combining resources typically results in more thorough and efficient problem-solving.  Cohen and Ledford (1994), examining more than 80 self-managing teams at an American telecommunications company, found that self-managing teams had significantly better job performance and higher employee job satisfaction than traditional working groups or departments.

                                                                          ⭐⭐⭐⭐

 On the day of our teaching demonstration, my group mates and I were extremely anxious as we were the second to present. Prior to teaching demo Dr. Lina told the team leaders to pick a colour and our leader Nicholas has chosen green. Little did we know that would determine our turn to present. As nervous I felt,  the thought of finishing early made me feel slightly better. It was finally our turn to present and we were all anxious. Despite that, we did well with our teaching demonstration. I personally felt that I could have memorised more facts instead of looking at the slides. However I felt that I did alright on interacting with the classroom for my part. We had to wrap up the presentation quicker that we would have like as we were running out of time. Shi Wei how ever managed to demonstrate sitting ways that have an immense effect on our legs to finish off our teaching demonstration. We will take this as a learning curve and improve our presentations in the future. 



References

Cohen, S. G., & Ledford Jr, G. E. (1994). The effectiveness of self-managing teams: A quasi-experiment. Human relations47(1), 13-43. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8543.2010.00787.x


Gallie, D., Zhou, Y., Felstead, A., & Green, F. (2012). Teamwork, skill development and employee welfare. British Journal of Industrial Relations50(1), 23-46.


https://numcmy-my.sharepoint.com/:p:/g/personal/sbyly1_nottingham_edu_my/Eb1aDSxuY9dNvtODt1zpZ_YBCB6zLn5PaAMjE1xO7Y9Cug?rtime=EKEzBnED3Eg

Comments

Popular Posts